By SUSAN POAGE and ALVARO MEDEIROS
One of the most important reasons we are running for Township Council is that we need to do a much better job of informing and engaging residents on what is going on in our town. We believe it is our job to go out into the community and meet with residents, informing them and listening to what they have to say; not for you to come to us.
As we’ve gone door-to-door across town in recent months, we’ve found that most residents have heard little or nothing about most of the major actions being taken by the Mayor and Council, including:
- Making sure residents understand the phasing of the development and what municipal services could be impacted, such as the library downsizing.
- Communicating major development projects to the entire town when they appear before our planning board, such as the new 7-story apartment complex will be built at the Connell Center.
- Repaving of our roads is a major complaint; however, the current plan will take 15 years to implement.
Whether or not we agree or disagree with these actions is not the issue; what matters is that town residents deserve to know about them.
We are committed to building on the progress finally being made and doing much more beyond it, including:
- Fully embracing social media to engage residents and ask for their input, before taking action on important issues.
- Creating an e-newsletter.
- Saving money from a print newsletter by having the “Mayor’s Roundtable” done for free.
- Holding occasional weekend meetings, not just on the Municipal Complex, in order to attract more residents at a more convenient time for them.
- Ensure we have a township website worthy of the 2010s, which means it must be mobile friendly and enable residents to access information more easily.
You deserve a voice in the future of our town. That’s Change We Can Agree On and it’s why we ask for your vote! Please join Democrats, Republicans and Independents in voting for Poage & Medeiros, Column A on November 7th!